Claflin University is leading the way in graduating underrepresented minorities at the bachelor’s level and preparing them for graduate school in STEM.
RESEARCH & ACADEMIA
- Vice Provost for Academic Programs, Office of the Provost, Academic Affairs, Claflin University
- Chair and Professor, Department of Chemistry, Claflin University
- Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Claflin University
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of South Carolina.
- Executive Director, Louis Stokes South Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation, University of South Carolina
- Statewide Coordinator, SECME (Southeastern Consortium for Minorities in Engineering), University of SouthCarolina, Department of Engineering
- Instructor, General Chemistry, Denmark Technical College, Denmark, SC.
- Chemist and Lab Technician, Sun Research and Development, Sun Refining and Marketing, Marcus Hook, PA
Grants and Contracts
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation: HBCUs Pursing Transformative Change (2014-2019)
- SC Department of Education: Claflin University Advanced Placement Summer Institute (2016-2018)
- SC EPSCoR-SAN: SERMACS 2016; Biomaterials Research Internship for High School Students (2016, 2018)
- NSF-HR1332516- Implementation Project: Transforming Computational STEM Education at Claflin University (2014-2019)
- NSF-HR1305050- The Louis Stokes South Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation: A senior alliance enhancing opportunities to transition students into successful STEM pathways. (2013-2018)
- Sunshine Ladies Foundation: GEMSS and GENTS Visionary Leadership Program. (2012-2014)
- NIH P20GM: SC INBRE. (2011-2019)
- NSF1050678: Math Science Partnership. (2011-2013)
- NASA: AstroCHEM Summer Education Forum at Kennedy Space Center. (2010-2011)
- DOD: Detection Methods and Remediation Response to Chemical Weapons of Mass Destruction. (2011-2013)
- NSF-HR 0928615: Enhancing Research Infrastructure for Solid-state Chemistry. (2009-2010)
- DOD: The Detection and Remediation Response to Biological and Chemical Weapons in the homeland and in the Battlefield. (2008-2010)
- NSF-HR 0810860: Integrating Research into Chemistry Curriculum. (2008-2009)
- NSF-HR 0713853: Building successful models for research and inquiry-based learning and teaching. (2007-2012)
- NSF-HR 0625028: Enhancing Research Infrastructure in Chemistry. (2006-2007)
- NSF-HR 0207994: Programs for the Retention and Enrichment of Science, Engineering and Mathematics students (PRESEMs). (2002-2007)
- NASA: AstroCHEM. (2002-2005)
- Dept. of Energy, Savannah River Site-Chemistry in the forefront of science. (2002-2004)
- NSF 0196496-SC-Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics Scholars Program. (2001-2003)
Claflin receives $500,000 leadership training grant
A private foundation is providing $500,000 for Claflin University to teach leadership skills to young students.
The program, called “GEMSS and GENTSS — 100 Visionary Leaders in Training,” brings together 100 girls and boys in third through eighth grades to help them become “visionary leaders.”…